- Ability: Charisma
- Cross-Class: No
- Requires Training: Yes
- Check: The base difficulty class (DC) of this task is determined by the value of the item, and modified by the type of emulation the character is attempting. If the character attempts to emulate a specific race, the DC increases by 5; if he attempts to emulate a specific alignment, the DC increases by 10. Emulating a specific class does not modify the base DC. You must make a DC check of 25 + the level of the spell to cast a spell from a scroll if the difficulty mode of the game is set to Hardcore or higher.
- Use: Automatically applied whenever a character attempts to use or equip an item normally unusable by his class, race, or alignment.
- The special check for using a scroll at hardcore difficulty or higher does not apply to scrolls with no class limitations, to characters with at least one bard, sorcerer, or wizard level, nor to characters who have the spell in question prepared (ready to cast). It does apply to all other characters who have at least one level in rogue, shadowdancer, or assassin, even if that character has a class that is allowed to use the scroll normally.
- Wizards cannot use this skill to use scrolls of a prohibited spell school.
- A UMD score of 25 or higher allows full usage of the holy avenger property.
- Skill levels between multiples of 5 do not make a difference in the skill check, i.e., a UMD of 14 is effectively the same as 10. However, these levels could become significant if a character is hit by a skill-reducing effect (e.g. curse, curse song, level drain).
- The file skillvsitemcost.2da lists the DCs for different item values:
|Maximum item value||Class emulation DC||Race emulation DC||Alignment emulation DC|